Do What You Love
It has been said that if you do what you love as a career, you will never work a day in your life. This is true for the career of hairdressers. The perks of this chosen career are vast and below we have outlined the top 10 benefits to being a hairdresser
The Benefits of working as a hairstylist
- Social Interaction (outside the computer). A hairstylists is a great career choice for individuals who love face to face interaction with other people. Meeting new people everyday keeps this career fresh, fun and interesting.
- Creative outlet. With your clients permission (of course), you may have the freedom to experiment with color shades and different styles to ultimately achieve the best look for your clients.
- Growth potential. This type of career will never be considered a “dead end job” because you have the open door to continue to learn new things every day.
Variety is the spice of life and a career as a hairdresser is never boring. One hour you may be doing a perm, and then the next client may want a hair color change. The days are filled with excitement and this is a great for individuals who hate structure.
- Flexibility is a huge benefit for many people. Hairdressers do not have to conform to a 9 to 5 schedule (although they may, if they choose to). Basically, they can make their own hours and this type of flexibility allows them quality time with friends and family as well as work around their life – no try to fit a life around their job. The nice thing is that this career is so flexible; it is something that will travel with you. You don’t need a fancy salon to work in. In fact, many famous hair dressers started the career off in their homes.
- Emotional satisfaction is an important aspect of hair dressers and one of the reasons that many people choose this type of career. The emotional satisfaction that a stylist gets when a client is over the moon thrilled with their new look is a great boost and that keeps them going, even on the most stressful of days.
Loyalty. When you have pleased customer, they will keep coming back to you and will probably follow you to whatever salon you move to. Your reputation precedes you and you will soon have a following (that pays better than Twitter).
- Lucrative career. Great cash potential is also a very nice perk that is hard to resist. On average, hair dressers get paid $8 to $12 dollars an hour and their tips could match that.
- Notoriety is another added bonus to this career. Many hairdressers are trendsetters and they want to make a name for themselves and have their work displayed on the runways and on magazine covers. They want to be a master in their field and bring beauty and style to everyone they meet.
- Passion. Follow your dreams; this is a great perk to being a hair dresser and an achievable goal.
Go For It
If you think that hair dressing is the career for you, please understand that every career has their pros and cons, but according to the above list, it seems that the perks of this career choice will outweigh any negative points.